Metal Saddle Packing/Metal Saddle Rings (IMTP®)
Metal saddle rings are a type of random tower packing suitable for high-capacity and high-performance applications.
MACH metal saddle rings offer excellent performance at an accessible price point along with guaranteed material quality. We have a wide range of metal saddle ring packing options in various sizes and configurations, including stainless steel saddles. We can also design a custom product for specialized applications. Our metal saddle rings are comparable to IMTP® and RMSR®.
Our metal saddle rings combine the high void fraction and the well-distributed surface area of the pall ring with the low aerodynamic drag of the saddle shape. Additionally, when compared to the pall ring, our metal saddle rings Compared to the Pall Ring, provide a more open shape and improved liquid spread.
To request a quote or obtain more information about any of our tower packing products, contact the MACH Engineering head office and speak with a representative directly.
Metal Saddles Product Overview
The first metal saddle ring was designed in the 1970s. MACH Engineering’s product takes this basic design and updates it to deliver improved performance and long-term value. While comparable to IMTP®, our product has a unique external geometry with a variety of fingers, arches and other features that prevent entangling and provide a large surface area to promote gas/liquid contact.
Key Benefits of Metal Saddle Rings
Metal saddle rings offer several benefits over other tower packing products, including:
- Lower pressure drop: Metal saddle packing provides lower pressure drops, which in turn reduces foaming and energy consumption.
- Higher efficiency: By providing higher efficiency over a wide flow range, metal saddle rings deliver enhanced performance that permits smaller column diameters for designing new systems.
- Better mechanical strength: A variety of material options lets you configure your purchase for optimal strength-to-weight ratio — select products are suitable for use in packed beds up to 50 feet deep.
- Minimal drag and hold-up: Random geometries and an improved surface area promote improved interfacial gas-liquid contact with minimal hold-up.
- High operation elasticity: Metal saddle ring tower packing offers a flexible solution that can adapt to operational changes while maintaining superior quality and performance.
- Large flux: Besides enhancing liquid distribution, nutter ring tower packing can significantly improve the flux of the gas by making it larger.
- Superior surface utilization: Metal saddle ring packing provides increased surface utilization for enhanced process results.
Materials and Sizes of Metal Saddle Packing
MACH Engineering designs metal saddle rings from the following materials:
- 304 stainless steel (304 SS): This most common stainless steel version offers excellent resistance to numerous atmospheric environments and corrosive media.
- 304L stainless steel (304L SS): This stainless steel type offers a slight but noticeable performance reduction over standard 304 alloys, but its lower carbon content minimizes potentially harmful carbide precipitation.
- 316 stainless steel (316 SS): This marine-grade stainless steel product offers excellent corrosion resistance and protects against elevated temperatures and acidic elements.
- 316L stainless steel (316L SS): This stainless steel option offers a lower carbon content than its 316 counterpart — its carbon content cannot exceed 0.03%.
- Carbon steel: This special steel type offers a higher carbon concentration, making it stronger and less likely to break under pressure.
- Aluminum: This lightweight metal offers excellent corrosion resistance and conducts heat and electricity well.
- Copper: As an industrial metal, copper is highly ductile and malleable. It also offers strong electrical and thermal conductivity and reliable corrosion resistance.
316 stainless steel has better corrosion resistance than 304. 304L and 316L are low-carbon stainless steel variants. We can make your stainless steel saddle rings in the preferred material.
We offer our products in 1-, 1.5-, 2- and 3-inch sizes, which have a void fraction between 97 and 99 percent and geometric surface areas ranging from 68 to 18 ft2/ft3.
For detailed specifications and more information about our design and engineering capabilities, reach out to one of our experienced representatives.
|Nominal Size (in)||0.6 (15 mm)||1 (25 mm)||1.5 (40 mm)||2 (50 mm)||2.4 (60 mm)||2.75 (70 mm)|
|Void Fraction (%)||96.7||96.6||97.4||97.9||98.2||98.7|
|Geometric Surface Area (ft2/ft3)||83.8||60.6||46||29.6||25.6||18.6|
|Weight – SS304 (lb/ft3)||16.5||16.6||12.7||10.6||9||6.6|
Matching the right tower packing product to each application is an important goal at MACH Engineering. We design and sell a wide range of options to meet the needs of clients in different industries. Potential uses of our metal saddle ring packing include:
- Sour water stripping
- Acid gas removal
- Atmospheric and high-pressure distillation
- Methane and ethane removal
- Used in degassing, vacuum distillation towers of petrochemical industry, chemical fertilizer industry and environmental protection
- Applied to vacuum distillation, decarbonation and desulfurization systems, ethyl benzene separation, and isooctane, toluene systems.
Contact MACH Engineering for Assistance
At MACH Engineering, our team of tower packing experts works closely with each client to determine the best material for their project, including saddle ring packing. Whether you’re designing a new system or retrofitting an old one, we’ll help you find solutions that are effective, reliable and economical.
As knowledgeable metal intalox saddle ring manufacturers, we strive to find the most productive, efficient and cost-effective solutions for our customers. Whether you have extensive knowledge of our industry or are purchasing nutter ring tower packing solutions for the first time, we’ll provide the expert guidance you need to make informed business decisions. We’re a full-service supplier you can trust throughout the process.
The first step is to get in touch and request a consultation with our team. Use the form on our contact page to reach out to one of our representatives and get started.