To meet the needs of our diverse customer base, MACH Engineering manufactures pall rings in a range of sizes and materials — including metal, plastic and ceramic. Our ceramic pall rings offer reliable quality at an accessible price point, making them an excellent choice for a variety of applications.
We manufacture ceramic pall rings for both high and low-temperature applications. Keep reading for more information about our products and their various applications and benefits. To place an order or request a quote, contact the MACH Engineering head office today.
An upgrade to the ceramic Raschig Ring design, Pall rings feature a cylindrical shape with open walls and inward-bent tabs. Generally, the open area occupies 30% of the total area of the cylinder wall. This design maximizes surface area while minimizing the number of contours, allowing gases and liquids to flow freely while greatly reducing the potential for entrainment.
Ceramic pall rings offer good mechanical strength as well as a non-porous surface. Ceramic is inert and iron-free, and, as a result, won’t rust or react when used with harsh chemicals.
We manufacture the following products:
- 1″ ceramic pall rings, with a 68 percent void fraction and 64 ft2/ft3 surface area
- 1 1/2″ ceramic pall rings, with a 74 percent void fraction and 54.9 ft2/ft3 surface area
- 2″ ceramic pall rings, with an 82 percent void fraction and 39.6 ft2/ft3 surface area
- 3″ ceramic pall rings, with a 70 percent void fraction and 33.5 ft2/ft3 surface area
Our products are customizable to meet the needs of clients in highly specialized industries. If you require custom ceramic pall ring packing for your process, contact MACH Engineering directly.
|Nominal Size (in)||1 (25 mm)||1 1/2 (38 mm)||2 (50 mm)||3 (76 mm)|
|Void Fraction (%)||68||74||82||70|
|Geometric Surface Area (ft2/ft3)||64.0||54.9||39.6||33.5|
Ceramic pall ring tower packing offers multiple advantages over similar designs:
Good mechanical strength and resistance to high temperatures
- Excellent resistance to acids, alkali, salts and various organic solvents
- Excellent chemical stability
- High heat endurance
- Minimal pressure drop, with even liquid and gas distribution
- Improved capacity
- Cost-effective performance, with a range of sizes available for different applications
The main drawback to pall rings is their limited capacity for liquid redistribution. If your process involves liquid redistribution, a saddle-type tower packing, like our FLEXISADDLES alternatives, may be a better choice.
Applications and Industries
Ceramic tower packing pall rings are used in various industrial processes, including absorption, cooling, washing, separating, desiccation and more. Some examples include:
- Sulfuric acid and CO2 absorption for the pulp and paper industry
- Absorption and stripping in high-pressure absorbers with high liquid and gas rates
- Drying columns, absorbing columns, cooling towers and scrubbing towers used in chemical processing
- Corrosive acid applications
Other industries that can benefit from our ceramic pall rings include gas and oxygen generation, metallurgy, petrochemical and more.
Working With MACH Engineering
MACH Engineering is a dedicated provider of metal, plastic and ceramic tower packing. We specialize in delivering quality products and comprehensive solutions for our clients. We have a wide range of items in stock for fast delivery to your location — if we don’t have it, we can get it for you quickly.
If you’re unsure which type of tower packing is best for your application, we can provide process simulation and other engineering services to identify the optimal product for your vessel. Contact us today for assistance.